Friday, June 29, 2012

Listen and obey 6-22-12 (am)

I want to share with you some of what I have received at the retreat.  First of all, the speaker (Clarice Fluitt) started off her session last night with these words:  "This is not a retreat.  This is an ADVANCE!  We did not come here to move backward, but to go forward."  As I was busy trying to write that down, she looked right at me and said, "Do not try to take notes.  I am going to move too fast for that.  I need you to listen."  And so I did.

We had breakout sessions this morning in 5 different areas:  prayer, worship, God's word, listening, and soaking.  Previous to the lessons I asked God to reveal to me what he wanted me to hear.  I also prayed for boldness and for a manifestation of the gifts He had for me.  I asked God to pour out of me the double portion of prophesy that was prophesied over me many years ago.  I said, "I am ready for the manifestation of the double portion."

What I found throughout the morning was a theme of prayer, listening for God's voice, and then obeying what He says.

First, at the prayer session we were each given a gift.  The leader of the session said that she had prayed over them, and she believed that everyone was going to get the one God wanted them to have.  Each one was unique in some way.  We were given a prayer shawl.  First of all, I have always wanted a prayer shawl.  Secondly, it was my favorite color.  It is the same color as the eyes on my cow for my logo for my new business.  :)

Next we went to a session on studying God's word.  Again, we were given individual unique gifts.  My gift was a book about prayer.  I was also able to give a testimony about gratefulness.  Some time ago someone posted on facebook a status update that said, "What if you woke up tomorrow morning, and all you had was what you thanked God for yesterday?"  That was one of the most profound statements I have ever heard, and I believe it changed my life.

Next, we went to a session on listening.  I was reminded of the many times I have listened and heard the voice of God.  I was also reminded of how important it is to obey that voice when you hear it.  Just to name a few times that I have heard from God:

1.  He told me to move to FL.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  I was working as a bank teller at the time, and I was at work running the drive-through window on a Saturday morning.  I just heard God speak to me.  I am not sure if it was an audible voice, or just through my spirit, but I remember what he said.  He said, "I want you to move to FL and live with your parents."  I remember telling one of the other tellers, "I am going to move to FL."  She looked at me like I had 6 heads!   Now, let me just tell you that that came out of nowhere.  I had no plans to move to FL.  All I know is that on Monday morning I gave my 2 week's notice, and I was on my way to FL.  (BTW, I met my husband the 2nd day I was there at my parent's church, and we were engaged less than 6 months later.)

2.  He told me we were going to move to the country and buy a farm.  This happened while we were on a camping trip with some friends from our old church, Beit Yeshua.  I am not sure if I even told anyone other than my husband.  It was several years later before it actually happened, but it did happen.

3.  I also heard from God when He told us we were to buy a cow.  That is a whole story of it's own, so I will save that one for another day.  I think I have made my point ~ at least I hope so.

The last session for our small group was on soaking.  We listened to a beautiful song about how much God loves us.  Then we laid down on mattresses on the floor and closed our eyes.  We just relaxed and meditated on what God had for us.  We were told that if God spoke to us, we were to write it down.

The only thing I heard was "1Thesselonians 5:17."  It just kept coming to me over and over.  I questioned whether is was just my mind, or was I really hearing from God?  This was not a verse that I had committed to memory.  I had no idea what it said.  After the soaking time, I looked it up, and it said, "Pray continually."  It goes on to say in verses 18-24:  "Gve thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  Do not put out the Spirit's fire;  do not treat prophecies with contempt.  Test everything.  Hold on to the good.  Avoid every kind of evil.  May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through.  May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it."

Is there a theme here?  Yes, God.  I hear you.  Pray, listen, seek your face, and when you speak to me, obey.  And through it all have joy and remember to give thanks.

Thank you Lord for speaking to me today.  I pray that these words will speak to you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment