Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Our first paying customer!

Today was another busy day.  The house was full of  rambunctious boys.  Steven and David each had a friend over to play.  It was a welcome break for me to know they were being entertained so I could get some work done.  Summer has officially begun! 

John made a price list brochure for our dairy products while I made a couple of batches of cheese.  Today I made a raw milk mozzarella that was really good, and another batch that was not so good.  I have decided that making mozzarella with more than one gallon of milk just doesn't work right.  The consistency is just too mushy.  It kind of turns out like a mozzarella version of Velveeta.  I much prefer it when it is firm and has a stronger flavor.  I am anxious to hear how my new customers like the samples I gave them today.  He bought some of my farmer's cheddar, and I gave him a sample of the raw milk mozzarella and some of the jalapeno and ranch cheese spread.  The gentleman told me that the cheese I gave them last week was the most delicious he had ever tasted.  That was just the kind of encouragement I needed to hear.  They also drive all the way from Tifton just to buy my cheese.  Pretty cool!

We had a very welcome rain tonight.  We needed it so badly.  Now John has to make good on his promise to plant corn in the old pigpen. :)  We figure that after we harvest the corn we will be ready for new pigs, and they will enjoy eating the corn stalks.  I love how nothing goes to waste on the farm.  I am missing the little piggies because I used to give them all the scraps and leftover whey from cheesemaking.  Now my garden gets the whey.  It makes a great organic fertilizer, and I save the food scraps for my friend's pig.

It's been a long day, and I am tired.  I'm hoping tomorrow to finally get caught up on some laundry,  finish packing up the kid's school books and get some gardening done.  Goodnight!

1 comment: